Wind Therapy

It's not unusual to hear a motorcycle rider refer to riding as "wind therapy"  and yesterday truly was a much needed therapy session for me.The sound of pipes echoing off the mountain sides like a symphony of timpani providing soothing meditative music for the soul. Riding with a group provides plenty of socialization and camaraderie whether it be at a gas station troubleshooting someones bike problem, taking pictures of each other at scenic overlooks, or sitting down to a meal together. You become a makeshift family even if just for the day where you can be yourself, free from judgement and free from whatever pressures you might be facing in the world. Just because you might be traveling with a group, doesn't mean that you are being starved of the alone time necessary to recharge. Even when with a group, when you ride it is just you, your bike, and the road beneath you. Whether you think through a problem or forget them all and lose yourself in music, the rush of the wind, and the curve of the road.

Yesterday's therapy session started when I cut through the silence at 4:30 am with my rumbling beast of a bike. I met a friend to ride the two and a half hours to the college town of Boone, NC nestled in the Appalachian mountains. We had a fabulous family style breakfast at Daniel Boone Inn with four others who I met that morning, but are strangers no more. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people bond over good food and a shared passion for riding. 

One of the women we laughed with over a traditional Southern breakfast was our reason for riding to Boone that day. Last year was the first year for a ride in her honor which was put on to help her financially as she battled breast cancer. This year's ride was again to assist with medical bills, but also a celebration of her completing her last chemotherapy treatment the day before. After meeting her, it wasn't hard to see how she beat cancer as it was immediately evident that her positive attitude and love of her family were a driving force. When you are struggling with your own problems sometimes seeing the storms that others have weathered and emerged victorious helps put your problems into perspective. 


As we began our ride I thought about her and about her incredible courage to fight and strength to overcome. Everyone in the group knew about the pain that I was in that day, but it was her day. Every time I was asked how I was doing I faked a smile and said I was okay.


Maybe I'll finish writing this one someday, but for now, enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts